Cycling for Sanitation

Posted on Updated on

OVERVIEW

NCRR formed after the 26th April 2015 earthquake which hit the central region of Nepal. After giving aid and relief to many regions, the NGO group decided to rebuild all seven schools in the Sikhra Besi and Nuwakot District in a project titled “Seven Schools in Seven Weeks”.

As the schools are now presently under construction, a group of Dutch cyclists have formed to raise money to build toilets, supply water tanks and water filtration systems to the schools. The back story behind the group is that they were scheduled to start a mountain biking tour with Himalayan Single Track (part of the founders of NCRR) on the day that the earthquake struck. The Dutch group was actually in the airport when it happened and, despite the confusion, managed to get out and deliver some small form of aid via bicycle to the southern parts of the Kathmandu valley. After staying in the capital for only four days, the group left and resolved to come back to Nepal to complete their cycling tour and also give something back to the communities that where so badly affected by the earthquake.

WHY SANITATION?
Rural Nepal suffers from disease spread by open defecation and it is very rare to find toilets in remote areas. Open defecation has a direct impact on the natural water sources especially during the heavy rain falls incurred in the monsoon.

Teaching hygienic habits and the use of toilets in schools is a small step in the right direction to healthier kids and healthier villagers.

NCRR have chosen to work on the rebuilding of village schools as part of our building phase. School buildings within Nepalese villages are an integral part of the social network, community and social structure of a village. Not only are schools a place for education and a safe, supervised place for parents to leave their children, they also represent community centres. They are more important now than ever as they are a safe place for children to go to while parents clear and rebuild.

AREA
Shikhra Besi VDC is located about 120 Km north of Kathmandu (by Road) at the base of Langtang Lugri himalayaa in Nuwakot Jila (District). It is one of the most heavily affected areas after the earthquake with terrain that is steep and rocky. 50% of the VDC has rough jeep road access and 80% of the wards are only accessed by walking.

 

BUDGET (provisional estimated budget)

NCRR are to Provide 90% of the funding and local people to provide the remaining 10%. We hope that this creates ownership of the project. The 10% from the local people can be in the form of materials, labour or other help.

Transport $1,775 USD
Estimated 5 trips @ $355 USD per trip includes which will include: jeep, heavy truck, motorbike and 4 tonnes of materials.

Labour $400 USD
For the project to go ahead, approx. 4 workers over 10 days will be needed. Their wages will be approximately $10 USD per person per day.

Rain Water Harvesting System
Water tank at $800 USD x 7 schools = $5,600 USD
Filtration system $250 USD x 7 schools =$1,750 USD
Quoted by Smart Pani

Toilets (dry biodegradable toilets)

$1,000 USD per School = $7,000 USD (this includes all materials, foundations etc.)

LOCAL MANPOWER
When building the schools and toilets we plan to use local manpower as labour for carting goods, manual work and also employing skilled local people for carpentry, masonry etc.

A REPEAT EVENT

As Nepal is a geographically unstable country, there is a high probability of a repeat event. NCRR are very mindful of this probability and in any rebuild, are ensuring that the work is done following the earthquake resilient building practices.

To help the team “Cycle for Sanitation” you can donate today via our page on Youcaring

Leave a Reply